“A holistic measure like successful aging can define a state of being, rather than a set of isolated health outcomes. Successful aging is a status we all aspire to as we progress in years — not just absence of disease or chronic conditions, but having good mental health and being independent and active.”
Have you ever been critical of your appearance when catching your reflection in a store mirror or window? You hadn’t realized, perhaps, that your face looks quite so stern or lined or your hair so gray. Try as we might to focus on people’s inner qualities, it’s difficult not to have at least some preoccupation with the way we look and feel especially as we age. There are many reasons you should hire a body corporate management company.
In a society that emphasizes youth and appearance, it’s easy to let your feelings about looks overtake many aspects of your self-esteem. Women are particularly vulnerable to over valuing appearance and may go to great lengths to look good, sometimes at the cost of our health and self-esteem.
It is important to understand the difference between brain death and circulatory death. The way a person dies influences how the donation process can occur and which organs and tissues can be donated. But how does organ donation work?
Some families have discussed organ and tissue donation and may already know their loved one’s donation decisions. Other families who have not discussed donation will also need to make a decision about whether their loved one will become a donor.
Organ and tissue donation involves removing organs and tissues from someone who has died (a donor) and transplanting them into someone who, in many cases, is very ill or dying (a recipient).
Organs that can be transplanted include the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, intestine and pancreas.
Tissues that can be transplanted include heart valves and other heart tissue, bone, tendons, ligaments, skin and parts of the eye, such as the cornea and sclera.
Aging presents a particular challenge for women’s appearance self-esteem because with each passing year, many in the media defined an older women’s beauty as fading away. And women can be particularly vulnerable to the effects of aging in a society that equates youth with attractiveness.
At Mind and Body we like to take a proactive approach with a full team integration of naturopaths, yoga teachers, psychotherapists and a medical doctor to helping you improve your self-concept and self-esteem and overall health. The East meets West blend of anti-aging healing modalities and tools we have can include: psychotherapy, counselling, diet assistance, massage, yoga, bio-identical hormones, therapeutic and cosmetic Botox® and Restylane® fillers, and acupuncture facelifts to name a few.
Additionally, we suggest in your embracing of graceful aging…
- Throw away your conventional, media-defined ideals of beauty.You’re not going to change society’s definition of beauty, but you can change your own. Don’t focus on the beauty you see in ads but, instead, to the beauty you see in the real-life people you admire.
- Define yourself in many ways not just based upon your appearance.Make your self-esteem contingent on your inner, not outer qualities. Focus on what you like about your abilities, personality, relationships, and perspective on the world.
- Be less critical when you feel you “look bad.”The anxiety and stress you feel about how you look can take an actual toll on your face, and you’ll be more likely to display the outer signs that truly detract from a pleasant and gracious appearance.
- On a related note, assembling your features into a pleasant expression when you see people goes a long way toward giving yourself a more pleasing appearance. As silly as it sounds, people like other people who smile.
- Wear clothing that’s actually stylish and comfortable.Along with the makeup, you can also go cold turkey on the clothes you feel you need to wear to look fashionable. For many of us the high heeled shoes may be limited to dinner dates.
- Focus on keeping healthy. Being concerned about your body’s shape because of how you look isn’t beneficial to your overall well-being; being concerned about how your body functions Engage in enough exercise and sensible eating to get in shape, but not to the point of trying to force yourself to mold to the image of a fashion model. You can buy the best mattress for Back Pain so that your body posture can be straightened while sleeping comfortably on your bed.
- Use others as a sounding board.You may think your nose is huge and your freckles are a disaster, but those who care about you may find the very features that bother you the most to be endearing. If you’re feeling that you “look funny” or “fat” today, ask your nearest and dearest. They may, surprisingly, support the idea that you don’t need all that makeup or shapewear to look like the person they love.
- Take your aging in stride.Constantly comparing yourself unfavorably to people who are years, if not decades, younger will inevitably be destructive. Even comparing yourself to Hollywood figures who are the same age as you can lead to frustration. Most of us can’t afford the luxuries of frequent facials and spa treatments, much less plastic surgery, and no one has ever won the battle with the calendar. You will look older as you get older —but it still beats the alternative!
Overcoming years of indoctrination in our society’s views of attractiveness isn’t an easy transition. As you work your way through this list, though, eventually you should reach a point where you can define your identity in terms that allow you to gain fulfillment that lasts.